Saturday, January 31, 2015

Digging Through my Photo Trunk

For fifteen years, I've collected turn-of-the-century photos. I'm not sure why - maybe because it's sometimes a rare glimpse into the everyday lives of people a hundred years ago or more. Maybe its because it pains me to think no family members cared to keep the photos (however it is also highly probable a lot of these photos were just lost through the years and maybe a family would love to have them back). Finally I use these photos as a source of inspiration for my fiction writing. I try to imagine who they were and weave a fictional tale of their former lives.

Whatever the reason for my longtime hobby, I absolutely treasure each photograph. Here are just a few examples:


I found this photo of Himalayan monks buried under a stack of photos at an old antique store.




This photograph reminds me of The Great Gatsby. Maybe Gatsby and Daisy in their younger days.



When I look at this one, the story ideas just swirl in my head.



I like to imagine this being taken just before or during the start of the Dust Bowl.I love the expressions on their faces.




I would love to find out where in the United States this was taken.


No comments:

Post a Comment